- 125 ml / Half a cup of butter
- 2 beef stock cubes
- 10 ml / 2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 ml / half a teaspoon whole nutmeg, grated
- 2 ml / half a teaspoon freshly ground coriander
- 250 ml / one cup of cake flour
- 500 ml / 2 cups of milk
- 2 litres / 8 cups of boiling water
- 250 ml / one cup of coarsely grated Cheddar cheese
- 200 g / half a pound of finely sliced moist Biltong
- Cream and Port to taste
- 100 g / quarter pound of grated blue cheese
- Bread Sticks for serving
Melt the butter in a heavy-based saucepan. Crumble the stock cubes and add the spices.
Add flour and heat, stirring continually until the flour begins to melt & simmer.
Mix in the milk and boiling water, and slowly stir into the flour mixture.
Stirring continually, heat slowly over medium heat until the mixture begins to simmer and thicken.
Remove the roux from the heat and stir in the Cheddar cheese and half the Biltong.
Do not bring the mixture to boil again. Keep warm until ready to serve.
Stir in a little fresh cream and port just before serving if desired.
Ladle the hot soup into deep soup bowls and scatter a little of the remaining biltong and crumbled blue cheese on top.
Serve with bread sticks.